“It Sounds So Sweet: Jug Band Music For Ukulele” serves up twenty classic songs from the early years of recording. You’ll get songs from the classic bands like the Memphis Jug Band, Earl McDonald’s Original Louisville Jug Band, The Hokum Boys, and the Mississippi Sheiks among many others.
In the spirit of jug bands everywhere, I have not limited this collection solely to transcriptions of early jug band recordings – although you’ll find plenty of those. Instead, I have tried to track down the sources for songs that have became part of the jug band revival. Some come from early jazz and hokum bands, others from the repertoire of blues singers or the musical hall stage. There are even a couple songs from old time Appalachian and early country artists. And you’ll find rarities like the complete 1919 version of “Blues My Naughty Sweetie Give to Me,” and the long lost introduction to “Coney Island Roundelay.”
If you like to have fun with your ukulele, you will love this book.
• All arrangements in easy to read tablature and standard notation.
• Alternate and original lyrics for many songs.
• Many arrangements include intros, instrumental solos and bridges transcribed from the original recordings.
• Detailed playing notes to help guide you through the tricky bits.
• Written for standard “My Dog Has Fleas” tuning, playable on any ‘ukulele.
Learn to play these classic songs:
- Adam and Eve In The Garden of Eden
- Beedle Um Bum
- The Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me
- Coney Island Washboard Roundelay
- Crazy Words, Crazy Tune
- Dallas Rag
- Eli Green’s Cakewalk
- Evolution Mama
- Hesitation Blues
- I’ve Got The Mourning Blues
- Jug Band Quartette (Jug Band Music)
- Lazy Lazy River
- Left All Alone Again Blues
- Papa’s on The House Top
- The Sheik of Araby
- Sitting on Top of the World
- Stealin’ Stealin’
- Truckin’ My Blues Away
- Under The Chicken Tree
- You May Leave, But This Will Bring You Back
Audio files for all of the songs in the book are available here.