Sold. Thanks for looking.
Here is your chance to own a beautiful handmade custom hurdy gurdy without the usual long wait and at a fraction of the price.
What’s that, you ask? The hurdy gurdy — called vielle a roue in Franch, zanfona in Spain and drehleier in Germany — is an ancient instrument that is becoming more and more popular. Think of it as a mechanical fiddle with a built-in percussion section. You can play just about any thing on it, from Medieval and Renaissance music to contemporary folk dance tunes to rock & metal. Seriously.
Altarwind instruments, built by George and Anywn Levertt in Southern Oregon, are in high demand around the world. I have owned and played this hurdy gurdy for several years, but I need to let it go. It is in very fine shape, with only the minor finish scratches you’d expect from a well-loved instrument. The wheel is true, all the tangents set up properly, and all the strings are new. It is currently set up in D/G tuning with a high octave D string, perfect for modern French Trad music or Celtic fiddle tunes.
If you have ever wanted to get into this exciting musical instrument, why wait two or three years for your order to be filled? I’ll even ship overnight if you are in a real hurry.
Take a close look at the pictures, watch the video, and write me if you have any questions.
- Six strings: Gros Bourdon at low G and Petit Bourdon at D, Trompette at D, Chanterelles at D and high octave D.
- Four Sympathetic Strings tuned G and D.
- Fully chromatic keys with easily adjustable metal tangents.
- Three Drone Capos and unique Melody String capo raise each string one full step. Plays in in the keys of D, G, E and A.
- Flamed Maple back & sides with Sitka spruce top in custom “Fiddle” finish.
- Beautiful laser-cut scroll work on key box.
- Push-button remote on-off switches for drones.
- Unique on-off switches for melody strings.
- Adjustable bridge.
- Solid wood wheel. Removable crank & knob.
- Five “PegHed” geared tuners.
- Zither pin tuners for sympathetic strings.
- Padded soft gig-bag case.
- Includes extra chien (buzzing bridge,) extra tangents, tuning wrench for sympathetic strings, tools to adjust capos and drone action, rosin, & cotton, and “Getting Started” book. All you need to do is tune it up and start playing.
Here it is at Lark Camp a couple years ago.
This wonderful instrument can be yours for $1750.00, plus shipping.
US & Canada buyers only, thanks. No trades, no BS. I’m not a dealer, just a musician who likes fine instruments. 24 hour inspection period, buyer pays return shipping if not 100% satisfied
Please use this form to get in touch